Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thinking About Pie...


So, like any normal person, after dinner I often have a rather strong craving for sweets. Tonight, all I could think of was the legendary apple-pumpkin pie I once had in Julian (actually, twice. It's that good).


Yes, there it is.
I never thought that apple-pumpkin was a combination I would enjoy, but this pie is fantastic. With a lovely dollop of vanilla ice cream on top. I suppose that's a bit more than a dollop, but don't worry about it.

It can be found at the Julian Bakery & Cafe in Julian, California. I have to give the credit for this one to my hairdresser in San Diego, who recommended it as a "fun day trip to a small town for some great pie." Perfection.

Julian an historic town located in the eastern hills of San Diego County. It's a bit out of the way, but this place is famous for its pie. In fact, it seems every other establishment in the town sells it. In addition, there's a cute secondhand bookstore, an enticing candy store, and even a horse drawn carriage that traverses up and down the Wild West-style street.






So if you find yourself in the San Diego area with a free day on your hands and a craving for pie, do not hesitate. Julian is waiting for you.

No comments: